Saturday, January 31, 2009

Thanks Grandma.

Hard work helps the time go by. Hard work helps the time go by. - Paul Baribeau's "Hard Work"

My roommates are drinking awful scotch whiskey. We had a discussion about where is came from. I said Scotland but my roommates were thrown off by the inclusion of scotch and whiskey in the title.

Some excerpts:
"Whiskey is only brewed in America. If it's not made here, then it's bourbon."
"This smells terrible."
"Where did we get this?"
"Alex's grandma gave him like 6 bottles of booze."

As it turns out Inver House Very Rare Scotch Whiskey, is made by a Thai company. But Scotch whiskey is whiskey made in Scotland. You be the judge.

I've been looking at tons of internships. I can't wait to not have a job. I'm pretty sure my dad is still hoping I'll be a doctor. I've been feeling pretty overwhelmed with everything that goes into to eventually finishing college. Paper work, health insurance, hopefully not living at home. I wonder why I couldn't just go into something more sensible but then I remember that at least being a writer is a rewarding kind of misery. I submitted a piece I wrote for class to another publication. Waiting to hear back now.

The perfect song for this entry just came on. Yeasayer's "2080"

I can’t sleep when I think about the times we’re living in,
I can’t sleep when I think about the future I was born into


Yeasayer reminds of what a more focused Animal Collective would sound like in a future where they don't want to fuck with you. Much more straightforward. Less wankery. I mean Animal Collective is good but come on. Sometimes you want to know what a band is saying to you. Gotta love all the yelping they do though. Anyway, "2080" is all about the future not being everything you thought it would be. But I guess you just have to give it a shot despite that. I think that's something that we can all relate to: nothing living up to our expectations and preconceived notions.

That's all today.

Goodnight, cool world.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

But less wankery would detract from the genius of Animal Collective. It's easy to get lost in an Animal Collective record, but what's wrong with that?

pierce said...

Nothing. It took me a long time to get into AC. I don't doubt their genius. They're just too all over the place for me and while I don't have any particularly strong feelings about any of their records, I absolutely love that Yeasayer record.