Sunday, February 22, 2009

Everyone is wasted as a means of getting through.

"Is tomorrow just a day like all the rest." How could you know just what you did? So full of faith yet so full of doubt I ask. Time and time again you said don't be afraid. Jimmy Eat World's "Goodbye Sky Harbour"

Japanther came to New Paltz yesterday.It was fantastic. I haven't seen them since September. It was like being reunited with old friends. They asked about Hidden Power and were kinda bummed when I told them we broke up. Those guys are without a doubt two of the hardest working musicians in music today. They were in Louisiana yesterday morning, got back to the city at 5pm and made it up to New Paltz at 930. They played from 11-1130 then drove back to Brooklyn to play another show at 1am. Insane.

I was talking to Matt about journalism and stuff. It was their first time in New Paltz. He told me about this documentary called Rock My Religion. Basically this conceptual artist, Dan Graham, made a film between 1982-1984 about how rock n' roll is the America religion for the secular era. I'm trying to get my hands on a copy of it. It seems pretty interesting.

Aha! I've found it. You can watch it here.

I get to wallow in some nostalgia tomorrow night. Jimmy Eat World's Clarity tour with my best friend. The last time we saw Jimmy Eat World was with Green Day and Against Me! at Giants Stadium like four years ago. I was standing in the second row and I might have a few tears squeak out during "A Praise Chorus." JEW was definitely one of the band that shaped my love of music. They were one of the first bands I was ever really passionate about. One of the only bands I would wait with bated breath for that Tuesday that a new record would come out and actually spend my meager high school income on when I knew I could get it for free on the internet. I mean say what you want about them. Are they changing music? No. Do they mean a lot to a lot of people? Sure. That's what keeps rock n' roll alive. If there's no one to believe in it, what's the point?

My girlfriend has a Mohawk and lightning bolts shaved into the sides of her head. Also, I hated Spiderman of the Rings but Dan Deacon's new album Bromst is pretty impressive.

Stay celebs.

1 comment:

debby k. said...

girlhawks are siqqqqqqq
i wish i (still) had one, though they suck when they grow out